and 60 Plyo Push Ups and 30 Burpees! Ha! Walked into the Boom Box this morning to a new set up and it is Very Nice! New Rogue Rig right down the middle. It’s like Christmas at the Box.
Back on topic … so this morning on the whiteboard was Shoulder Mobility (much needed) and a chipper from hell (much need as well although I didn’t want to admit it)!
MetCon: 30 Curtis P’s (65lbs), 60 Plyo Push Ups and 30 Burpees. The last time I did Curtis P’s my knee was a little wonky and I did a modified version. Today however I was ready to do full on movement and boy did it HURT, PHYSICALLY and MENTALLY! It was a big struggle for me.
For those of you in need of a description here goes it: Power Clean the bar, Lunge forward with each leg holding bar in Front Rack position and then press bar overhead; rinse and repeat. Woooo those lunges are killer! I was happy to knock out 5, then 3’s and 2’s from there on out till 30. But wait there’s more! 60 Plyo Push Ups! So here’s the deal. I have a 35lb bumper plate in front of me. The 35lbs plate is probably 3-4 inches high. You start with one hand on plate and one hand on ground. You then push up and move hand on plate over to ground and hand on ground to plate for the next push up. Keep going to 60. After doing 30 presses, my body just didn’t want to do all those push ups. Today I literally wanted to cry. BUT WAIT…. THERE’S MORE! Burpees. By now Coach is encouraging me to finish under 20 minutes. I really wanted to quit at that point. There is no way I’m gonna hit that mark. I mentally fell apart. I felt every sore muscle and I let my mind focus on all the negative. I’ve never sucked so bad at doing burpees till today. Coach was really trying to get me to focus and although I finished I know I could have finished stronger and sub 20 minutes. I missed the mark though and finished 20:44. I’m having a hard time typing right NOW as a result of my shoulders being dead. I just want to lay down. Seriously! I’m thinking there may not be an Outdoor WOD tonight!
Last Night’s Outdoor WOD
Jonas bailed on me yesterday. He has this dry cough and said he wasn’t feeling well… “Mom, Can I sit this one out?” Blah Blah Blah, Yes sit this one out son. Whatever! Hahah. This was prime opportunity for me to follow suit and sit this one out right along with him. But I pressed on! I took a warm up jog around the fields (approx 5 min), then headed over to basketball courts. I just pulled this WOD out of thin air and it ended up being good work. I started at one end of the courts and did 5 burpees, ran to the other end (I was estimating this was 25yds) and did 4 burpees. I ran back and forth till I was down to 1 burpee. Not a lot I know but from there I did 10, 9, 8, etc of Butterfly Sit Ups in the same pattern. When I got down to 1, I then finished with push ups starting at 6. All said and done I did 15 burpees, 55 Sit Ups, 21 Pushups and Ran 475 yds with a time of 7:55. Finished off with a short run back to my chair and I felt good! Woooo!
Like I just said there probably won’t be a 2nd workout today but ya never know. I’m a crazy one and I just might not be able to help myself. I enjoy working out but I’m ok with it. There are worse things I could be doing!
Anyhoo…. have a FAB TUESDAY! Challenge yourself to do something new, try a new food, run a little farther. Go outside your comfort zone! BE AWESOME!
Yup I’m tired, sleepy, and more tired. I’ve been watching Game of Thrones Season 1 and I’m allowing it to interfere with my sleep habits. Not good and I’ll probably have to slow my roll cause I fear a Crash and Burn is coming. Rest is key to recovery and I’m eating into my rest. Darn series!!
I still woke up for the BOOM BOX and put my work in. Back Squats were the skill/strength today. We did 6 sets of 3 at 80% of our 1 RM getting around 2 minutes rest between sets. This wasn’t too bad. I did lose strength on the last set but still pushed through the sets at 115lbs. My first set was slightly lighter because at 5am, I can’t count!
The MetCon rang a familiar tune. Plyo Push Ups and Sled Pulls!
I found a very similar workout from Feb. 21 and I remember it about killed me! If you read that post then you should really know I don’t want to do this workout. But it didn’t kill me last time so I’m thinking it won’t kill me this time around.
This morning we didn’t go for time, we just did work for the sake of putting in work. I recall last time we did this I thought my ass fell off during one of the pulls. But this time wasn’t as strenuous. Looking back at that MetCon in February I saw we did heavier weight, not much heavier but indeed a bigger load. I am a little stronger 3 months later so that probably helped this time around but I’m telling you SLED PULLS may be the death of me at some point. I was not made for that movement at all! I’m just glad there was no times kept today. It would have been a sad day for me on the whiteboard!
Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole
So I had some extra ground beef and I wasn’t feeling meatloaf or meatballs, what can I make? I went to the good ol google for paleo and ground beef recipes and I stumbled across two recipes that sounded great from PaleOMG. (Yes you should follow this blog, always good stuff!) The first recipe I found was Sweet Potato Enchiladas and the second was the Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole. Well I was all set to make enchiladas. I had the sweet potatoes but they were a pain in the ass to get thin sliced as the recipe called for so I bailed on that recipe and chose the casserole. My food processor can shred those sweet potatoes right up! It was quite tasty and definitely different than the rut I’ve been stuck in food-wise. I did make the homemade sauce from the Enchilada recipe and it’s below as well. We ate it for dinner but it could be for any meal really. I’m really hoping it’s good for lunch. Leftover casserole can either be AWESOME or just plain ol blah. We shall see! I also gave some leftovers to my dad. He’s been going Paleo-ish. I hope he liked it as well 🙂 I did fail to take a picture so unless lunch looks beautiful you may have to wait till the next time I make this dish.
I know shut up and give us the recipe! Here it is:
Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1lb Grass fed Ground Beef
- 2 sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or other fat)
- 1 (14oz) can of El Pato Enchilada Sauce or homemade
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pull out a large skillet or oven proof cooking dish. (aka cast iron skillet, etc)
- Place skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of fat then add your minced garlic and diced onion.
- When onion just begins to soften, add your ground beef and use a spoon or spatula to break it up and combine with onion.
- Now use your shredding attachment on your food processor to shred you sweet potatoes. If you don’t have a food processor, just use a grater then go to the store and buy a food processor for next time. Life will be better with one.
- When your meat is almost cook through, add all your spices to the meat and onions and mix to combine the flavors.
- Now pour your shredded sweet potatoes on top of the meat and pat down then add your enchilada sauce on top.
- Cover and let simmer for around 8-10 minutes.
- Once sweet potato begins to soften, remove from heat, add your whisked eggs and stir to combine it all together.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Let cool, this b*tch is gonna be hot!! The enjoy! For breakfast, lunch or dinner!!
For the sauce
Pulled from Sweet Potato Enchilada Recipe
- 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place a saucepan over medium heat for your sauce. Add your tablespoon of oil along with your minced onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add your tomato sauce and vegetable broth, as well as all your seasonings. Let that cook down until it thickens just a bit.
That’s it for this Tuesday. Hopefully I won’t let Game of Thrones consume my night and I’ll get some sleep!!! Have a tremendously terrific day 🙂