Yup I’m tired, sleepy, and more tired. I’ve been watching Game of Thrones Season 1 and I’m allowing it to interfere with my sleep habits. Not good and I’ll probably have to slow my roll cause I fear a Crash and Burn is coming. Rest is key to recovery and I’m eating into my rest. Darn series!!
I still woke up for the BOOM BOX and put my work in. Back Squats were the skill/strength today. We did 6 sets of 3 at 80% of our 1 RM getting around 2 minutes rest between sets. This wasn’t too bad. I did lose strength on the last set but still pushed through the sets at 115lbs. My first set was slightly lighter because at 5am, I can’t count!
The MetCon rang a familiar tune. Plyo Push Ups and Sled Pulls!
I found a very similar workout from Feb. 21 and I remember it about killed me! If you read that post then you should really know I don’t want to do this workout. But it didn’t kill me last time so I’m thinking it won’t kill me this time around.
This morning we didn’t go for time, we just did work for the sake of putting in work. I recall last time we did this I thought my ass fell off during one of the pulls. But this time wasn’t as strenuous. Looking back at that MetCon in February I saw we did heavier weight, not much heavier but indeed a bigger load. I am a little stronger 3 months later so that probably helped this time around but I’m telling you SLED PULLS may be the death of me at some point. I was not made for that movement at all! I’m just glad there was no times kept today. It would have been a sad day for me on the whiteboard!
Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole
So I had some extra ground beef and I wasn’t feeling meatloaf or meatballs, what can I make? I went to the good ol google for paleo and ground beef recipes and I stumbled across two recipes that sounded great from PaleOMG. (Yes you should follow this blog, always good stuff!) The first recipe I found was Sweet Potato Enchiladas and the second was the Tex-Mex Hash Breakfast Casserole. Well I was all set to make enchiladas. I had the sweet potatoes but they were a pain in the ass to get thin sliced as the recipe called for so I bailed on that recipe and chose the casserole. My food processor can shred those sweet potatoes right up! It was quite tasty and definitely different than the rut I’ve been stuck in food-wise. I did make the homemade sauce from the Enchilada recipe and it’s below as well. We ate it for dinner but it could be for any meal really. I’m really hoping it’s good for lunch. Leftover casserole can either be AWESOME or just plain ol blah. We shall see! I also gave some leftovers to my dad. He’s been going Paleo-ish. I hope he liked it as well 🙂 I did fail to take a picture so unless lunch looks beautiful you may have to wait till the next time I make this dish.
I know shut up and give us the recipe! Here it is:
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
Total time: 40 mins
- 1lb Grass fed Ground Beef
- 2 sweet potatoes, shredded
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat (or other fat)
- 1 (14oz) can of El Pato Enchilada Sauce or homemade
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Pull out a large skillet or oven proof cooking dish. (aka cast iron skillet, etc)
- Place skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon of fat then add your minced garlic and diced onion.
- When onion just begins to soften, add your ground beef and use a spoon or spatula to break it up and combine with onion.
- Now use your shredding attachment on your food processor to shred you sweet potatoes. If you don’t have a food processor, just use a grater then go to the store and buy a food processor for next time. Life will be better with one.
- When your meat is almost cook through, add all your spices to the meat and onions and mix to combine the flavors.
- Now pour your shredded sweet potatoes on top of the meat and pat down then add your enchilada sauce on top.
- Cover and let simmer for around 8-10 minutes.
- Once sweet potato begins to soften, remove from heat, add your whisked eggs and stir to combine it all together.
- Place in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until eggs are cooked through.
- Let cool, this b*tch is gonna be hot!! The enjoy! For breakfast, lunch or dinner!!
For the sauce
Pulled from Sweet Potato Enchilada Recipe
- 1 (14oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 yellow onion, minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Place a saucepan over medium heat for your sauce. Add your tablespoon of oil along with your minced onion.
- When the onion becomes translucent, add your tomato sauce and vegetable broth, as well as all your seasonings. Let that cook down until it thickens just a bit.
That’s it for this Tuesday. Hopefully I won’t let Game of Thrones consume my night and I’ll get some sleep!!! Have a tremendously terrific day 🙂